Born to be Wild

This is where I post stories about various experiences with Wildlife Rehabilitation. Things are usually pretty quiet in January, but will certainly heat up as the season gets underway. The first to appear are usually orphaned and/or injured baby squirrels, sometime in February. The Eastern Grey Squirrel has a second mating season in late summer/early fall. Now you know why there are so many squirrels!

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

"'It's Just Fine"

I can't believe how many times I've heard those words regarding a wild animal - dozens? Hundreds? I do know exactly how many times that statement has turned out to be true: ZERO!
So please allow me to vent on this subject. Today I received a phone call from a local veterinarian's office telling me there was a "fledgling" that was "ready to be released" because there was "nothing wrong with it". First off, there are no fledgling birds in this area this early in March, so I knew that statement had to be false.
Anyway, I went and picked up the bird, who was found under someone's porch, unable to fly. Did this person pick it up and take it to someone who could help? No, they called Animal Control and had an Officer come get it! It is, after all, a "vicious" American Robin (one of the sweetest birds on the planet).
So I brought it home hoping against hope that I would be able to let a healthy bird go. Then I had a look at it. Apparently, the Vet who examined it did not notice that its tail is severely askew and it is dragging one leg behind it as it tries to "swim" across the floor using its wings. All of this points to a possible spinal injury. I guess the Vet also missed the blood on its feathers around the point where the tail meets the back. And, not seeing the blood, I suppose the Vet also missed the wound there.
Call me crazy, but I don't think this Robin is quite ready for release. I believe it was the victim of a cat (or possibly dog) attack, so I gave it antibiotics straightaway. I also used a gavage needle to deliver rehydration fluids directly into its crop (Since the opening to the trachea in birds is at the back of the tongue, giving fluids orally can cause them to drown). Once it was rehydrated, I gave it a drop of something for pain and also applied Silvadene to the wound. Silvadene is a topical salve that was developed for burn patients, so it's very gentle while also being antibacterial and healing.
Now the little one is in a box on a heating pad in a dark, quiet room. His (her?) recovery is really not up to me at this point. But the fact that he's a feisty little one - tried biting my finger several times! - gives me hope for a good outcome.
OK, I've said my piece. Just don't ever take someone at their word when they say, "It's Just Fine". But I still hope for the day when that statement will turn out to be true!

4 comments:

  1. That little birdie was lucky to come to you... hope it is really fine soon...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I've heard that one, too!
    Like the child's pet white rat that was having trouble giving birth - handed back to me after an overnight stay at the vet's surgery, "She's had one huge baby that died, but she isn't going to have any more".
    Of course, she had another 6 dead babies over the next two days, but I didn't dare leave her side until she was up and about again.
    Human doctors can be much the same, too.
    I hope your little robin fella is okay soon =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Zozzye!
    I'm so glad that you were able to step in and help the little baby. While I'm certainly not a certified rehabber, even *I* could tell that the baby needed help! Here in the Memphis, TN area there are so few people trained to work with wildlife. I tried to rescue a baby robin (that someone had the audacity to swat with a broom!!!!!!!!) Sadly, even with heating pad, a few worms (it was old enough to eat on its own, but didn't have full feathers to fly), fluids etc. it died by morning...
    I give you great credit and kudos for your devotion, love, attention and caring you have for all creatures, great and small. The world is lucky to have you :)

    ReplyDelete