The Flight of Phoenix Well, Phoenix the Red-shouldered hawk is now free. He was released way out in the country, about 70 miles from where I live, in a beautiful clearing flanked by trees and by a large lake. Here's a photo of him right before release, bright-eyed and feisty (his mouth is open because he's fussing at us humans). His grey eyes label him as a first year bird; they will turn yellow-orange as he matures.
When he was released he flew right over the trees in the background of this photo and caught a draft and soared a bit before settling into a tree farther away. He was immediately mobbed by crows, something he'll have to get used to since crows and bluejays constantly harass hawks. He took it all in stride though and flew off to another perch.
Freedom is a beautiful thing.

Hello Zoz :)
ReplyDeleteLoved your blog. You have a very interesting profile coz I'm an animal lover myself :)
I have been playing escape games for a while and whenever I check the walkthrough I see the same names and yours was one among them... just followed the link and reached this blog... I'm glad to find your blog...
You may visit me at http://seemudiaries.blogspot.com